Sunday, March 27, 2011

RESPECT THE POUCH

A couple months ago James was checking out his CS pouch box - I tell you the child misses nothing - anyway he saw they had a pencil box on the back made of pouches. Of course loving to craft almost as much as I do he immediately wanted to make one. I on the other hand did not. I thought what a mess - all I could see was sticky pouches dripping leftover juice all over, and I figured I'd have to sew them together and didn't want to do that with my sewing machine. (have you all seen the purses, beach bags etc made from them? Check it out here terracycle! AND NO GIVING JAMES ANY OTHER IDEAS!! I do NOT want to make a back pack!) ANYWAY those pouches disappeared and I thought perhaps he had forgotten. HA! He has a memory like an elephant! I had even been avoiding buying the pouches....but Daddy didn't know of my devious plans so about a week ago he came home with a treat for James....ARG! LOL! So once again James began saving his pouches. I caved and figured how to clean them making sure we had a spare straw they actually fill quite quickly and a good shake and squeeze and they are fairly clean dripping only minimal water. Then how to sew because I still wasn't going to run them through my sewing machine after all this is a James project right? Well tadah of course use the crop a dial, yarn and a big non sharp needle and James can do it himself! He wasn't sure about the needle he thought he could use "yoyos" aka pipecleaners like he did for our cheesehead hats click HERE  for a reminder on those. I love that he thinks for himself and had his own plan! Smart boy! I talked him into a trip to the "sabic store" though and found exactly what I was looking for in these lovely blue plastic imexpensive yarn needles.
Step one : Gather supplies
Step two: Thread needle and teach boy how to pull through without pulling needle off yarn not as hard as I expected. He's a quick study.
After the first one he whipped right through them sewing six pouches together.
"Yets see how sar we're are"
(yes I adore the way he talks)
I sewed the bottom on for him as he was tiring of it. The two pouches on the bottom are overlapped about 2/3 of the way so we didn't have to sew 8 pouches together, I mean we did it for added stability....  ;)
Check out the inside
A proud boy with his finished product. This took us only about 45 minutes.
A good little Sunday morning project.

2 comments:

Kate said...

oh for cute!

The Machlitt Family said...

I wish I was even a 1/3 as crafty as you are!! That is awesome and awesome that you are such a cool Mommy for letting him do it!

BTW - the picture of your two boys is AWESOME! They are so cute!